What is Powder Coating?
|Powder Coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The coating is typically applied electro-statically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. |
What are the advantages of powder coating over other coatings ?
- Powder coatings can produce much thicker coatings than conventional liquid coatings without running or sagging.
- Powder coated items generally have fewer appearance differences between horizontally coated surfaces and vertically coated surfaces than liquid coated items.
- The wide range of specialty effects are easily accomplished using powder coatings that would be impossible to achieve with other coating processes.
- Curing time is significantly faster with powder coating as compared to liquid coating.
What is involved in a powder coating process ?
The powder coating process involves three basic steps:
- Preparation or the pre-treatment of the item
- The powder application
- Oven Curing
What items can be powder coated?
Automotive items include:
- Wheels & suspension components
- Engine components - fuel tanks - inter coolers & piping - rocker covers
- Ute trays and canopies - box trailers and trailer components- tool boxes
- Diff housings and accessories
- Motorbike frames and accessories
- Full car chassis
- Bull bars & 4WD components
- chassis frames
Industrial & Commercial Steel or aluminium items include:
- Fabricated steel Frames
- Structural steel members - I beam - C Channel - Perlins - Angle and RHS
- Bollards & hand railings
- stringer stairs
- shop fit outs,racks & shelving .
Residential items include :
- metal,wrought iron & cast iron furniture
- security doors & screens
- louvers , window frames and extrusions
- gate & fence panels
- pergolas,posts & awnings
- garage doors
- safety & hand rails
Boating & Marine items include:
- Aluminium boats - Boat trailers - Jet ski trailers & Accessories